French Club, with its motto of “Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité,” boasts cuisine and culture

Hudha Khan

Students enjoy crepes at a French Club meeting.

The waft smell of fondue and chocolate-covered strawberries fill language teacher Grace Garvin’s classroom as students discuss the French cuisine and culture at their French Club meeting.

The French Club acts as both a cultural club as well as an educational support club. According to club president, senior Shannon Lin, French students enrolled in Justin Williams’s or Garvin’s class are encouraged to join if they need help on class material. Even for students who are not struggling, simply taking part of the festivities and fun events the club hosts is enticing.

“[The] majority of the members this year are students enrolled in French, but a few are just the wandering francophile looking for a place to express their passions,” Lin said.

Although Shannon Lin is considered the club president, all members of the club share a part in leadership and are titled as co-president. This is their way of living up to the French motto of “Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité,” meaning liberty, equality, fraternity.

So far the club has had a fondue party, several French-themed movie screenings and a cheese-tasting party. Ultimately, the club isn’t meant to be high demand or overly educational.

“Almost all meetings have free food and hot French accents. Who doesn’t like free fondue and hot chocolate?” Lin said.

Many students like sophomore club member Carissa Solomon are looking forward to being a part of the French club. They hope to have more events and activities in the future. This year, they are planning field trips to San Francisco and a crepe fair.

“What I want to do more with the club is little fun activities relative to what we learn in French class, and most importantly I want to try and help expand the members and watch the club grow into a little happy French learning community,” Solomon said.

French Club is one of the oldest clubs on campus; it has been active since before Garvin began teaching at SCHS in 2002. Before she became the advisor, the previous one established a small scholarship that was given at the Senior Awards assembly. It has continued to award the French Club scholarships from 100 to 150 dollars for years, according to Garvin.

“The overall goal is to support the French classes with extra activities that are culturally and linguistically related to France and French-speaking regions of the world,” Garvin said.

The club meets every other Tuesday in Garvin’s room C303 during lunch.

“It’s a relaxing space for anyone looking for a little je ne sais quoi,” Lin said. “Everyone is welcome.”