REVIEW: Though packed with action, “Tomb Raider” is generic and one-dimensional

"Tomb Raider" is fast-paced but unfortunately dull.

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

“Tomb Raider” — a reboot of the franchise with the same name — stars Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft, a young British heiress unwilling to accept her missing father’s death, instead trekking to the other half of the world to find him.

The action-packed movie tells the origin story of Lara Croft. Although she’s sitting upon an inherited fortune, Lara refuses to touch the money, opting instead to wander in London as an aimless, reckless woman. When Lara discovers a series of clues leading to her father’s whereabouts, she travels to Yamatai, an uninhabited island supposedly holding the grave of a Japanese death queen — and her father. There, the movie takes off in a wild frenzy of action and adventure.

“Tomb Raider” is based upon the titular video game, and the game’s influence is not subtle. Many times throughout, the movie seemed to have opted for running, jumping and fighting sequences rather than advancements in plot. The story arc is generic and the characters are one-dimensional. Lu Ren (Daniel Wu) is a “drunken” sailor (though he’s only portrayed drunk once) who promptly sobers up to help Lara get to Yamatai. He’s never really seen again. Mathias Vogel (Walton Goggins) is a villain with nefarious motives, but his evil scheming didn’t seem very thought out. Though Lara jumping from one action scene to the next is certainly very cool, at the end of the day, “Tomb Raider” felt less like a movie and more like a streamed, play-through video game.