REVIEW: “Isle of the Dogs” fails in its attempts at humor and romance

Back to Article
Back to Article

"Isle of the Dogs" proves to be a disappointment.

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

“Isle of the Dogs” is a stop-motion film written and directed by Wes Anderson, which came out last Friday. The movie takes place in the near future of Japan, where outbreaks of diseases among dogs caused the government to deport all canines to an island previously used as a trash-dumping ground.

The film follows a group of five dogs named Rex, Duke, King, Boss and Chief, played by Edward Norton, Jeff Goldblum, Bob Balaban, Bill Murray and Bryan Cranston, respectively. A few months into their exile, a young boy named Atari Kobayashi (played by Koyu Rankin) shows up searching for his dog Spots. With the help of the five dogs, Atari goes on a journey to retrieve his missing dog.

The movie makes several attempts at humor, but it repeats jokes and fails to yield laughter.

The characters in the movie are unsettling to look at. All of the human’s skin and too-close to real eyes are overall discomforting to view.

The story was executed fairly well, save for one aspect: the romantic subplot. The romance between Atari and Tracy Walker (played by Greta Gerwig) is unnecessary and uninteresting.. Additionally, the movie states that Tracy is a senior, which means that she is several years older than twelve-year-old Atari. The quite significant age difference between the two young characters is a little creepy to consider.

All in all, this movie is mostly unpleasant to watch. Given the overall strange feeling of the film, it’s best that this movie is left unwatched.