REVIEW: Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos is a modern twist on a classic

Back to Article
Back to Article

The classic chocolate covered taco.

The classic chocolate covered taco.

Kiera O'Hara-Heinz

The classic chocolate covered taco.

Kiera O'Hara-Heinz

Kiera O'Hara-Heinz

The classic chocolate covered taco.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Chasing the ice cream man is a classic childhood experience.

Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos, which opened on Tuesday, puts a delicious twist on an ice cream truck staple. The store offers eleven flavors of ice cream and four kinds of dips. With a large variety including dairy-free options, Rocko’s has something for everyone.

The tacos start with a waffle cone shell which the workers pile with ice cream using liquid nitrogen between scoops to keep it from melting. Next, there is a choice of customizable dips and toppings for the taco.

I had the peanut butter caramel ice cream with a dark chocolate dip. The ice cream itself was a good combination of salty and sweet and the shell and dip added a nice contrast of textures. The taco was really rich and although it was small, it was very filling. The ice cream tacos were fairly expensive considering that they were five dollars for a small taco. Each additional dip was 25 cents and each topping was 50 cents.

Although I went to the grand opening, I was surprised to find myself the only person in the shop. The atmosphere was trendy and clean after having gone through a complete renovation since being mission city creamery two months ago.

The store has a limited amount of seating and lacks the neighborhood hangout aesthetic of Mission City Creamery. Due to its location and the price, it seems to market to university students more than teenagers or families.

Though delicious, the ice cream was not unique. The ice cream tacos were very similar to the ice cream found at convenience stores. This shop is not worth a second visit. Overall Rocko’s was an unremarkable ice cream shop.

Filling the gap left by both Blondies and Mission City Creamery, Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos has a legacy of frozen treats to live up to.

You can visit Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos at 2905 Park Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050.

1 Comment

One Response to “REVIEW: Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos is a modern twist on a classic”

1. Flora Reese on April 24th, 2018 5:25 pm

Make up your mind, kid! Was it “delicious” or “unremarkable”? Was it “very filling” or “too expensive”?

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*