OPINION: This year’s homecoming spirit week days are lacking popularity

Corrections: 10/15/18 at 8:52 pm. Graf three, line one: “Oct. 19” to “October 9”

10/16/18 at 9:40 pm. Graf three. “In previous years there was no need for a video because students knew what to wear. This year’s confusing and bland spirit days necessitate clarification.” to “It seemed like the video was released to add clarification to the confusion. According to leadership students, however, the video was launched to publicize and excite students, similar to a video created two years ago. “

Spirit Week leading up to the big game is one of the major components of homecoming, yet this year’s themes seem to be dull and unimaginative. Homecoming falls on a shortened week, leaving only four bleak spirit days.

The official themes are Tourist Tuesday, Bay Area Day, Pajama Day and lastly Bruin Pride Day. When first announced on Sept. 30, many students did not know what the first two spirit days meant and expressed their confusion and disappointment in the choices. The last two days generally stay the same every year as pajamas make ideal clothing for the long night of float building on Thursday and Bruin Pride coincides with the homecoming game.

The leadership class elaborated on the themes by posting a video on October 9 on the SCHS Instagram account to give examples of what to wear for each day. It seemed like the video was released to add clarification to the confusion. According to leadership students, however, the video was launched to publicize and excite students, similar to a video created two years ago. 

Tourist Tuesday was met with both positive and negative feedback. Some say it is new and interesting while others think it is unappealing. The theme seems to be relatively plain but a step up from the next one.

Bay Area Day appears to be another reiteration of dressing up as oneself. Everyone attending SCHS lives in the Bay Area, and it does not look like much effort will be put into being involved. On Wednesday, there will certainly be difficulty differentiating students who are participating in the festivities and those who could not care less about them.

More complaints surfaced and the leadership class reminded everyone the spirit days were chosen based on the popularity of student submission, so if there were anyone to blame for the themes, it would have to be themselves. With so much confusion over the themes, however, the majority of student submissions could not have been for Bay Area Day or Tourist Tuesday.

It is hard to believe that student voices are taken into consideration when SCHS is constantly let down by school events controlled by leadership. They seem to be the only class advocating and accepting the themes.

Homecoming is the first major event of the school year and should be filled with positive energy. Spirit days are supposed to be exciting and supposed to hype up students prior to the homecoming game. This year’s themes, however, provide a slow build-up to the big day and will most likely make Homecoming Week uneventful and disappointing.