New chemistry and marine biology teacher Shams Amarragy aims to spread kindness throughout school

Eunice Oh

Ms. Amarragy cannot wait to positively influence her students.

New chemistry and marine biology teacher Shams Amarragy is dedicated to helping students inside and outside of class.

Amarragy taught at Gunderson High School for two years and came to SCHS this year because of its caring and student-empowering faculty, she said. Since starting at SCHS, Ammarragy has been warmly accepted by staff members.

“I think everyone in the science department is awesome and welcoming and eager to help,” Amarragy said. “They are all so smart and experienced.”

Amarragy, an introvert who loved science and history as a child, was born and raised in Southern California and wanted to be everything from a lawyer to a veterinarian.

“I was not athletic and I preferred to read and stay in my room like a typical teenager,” Amarragy said.

Amarragy attended a small high school in Southern California with only 20 students in its graduating class. Later on, she earned her bachelor’s degree from Cal Poly, Pomona and teaching credential from UC Irvine.

In college, Amarragy worked in non-profit for some time and went on to working with students.

“At some point, I started working with high school students in the Japanese American Citizens League and a children’s refugee program,” Amarragy said. “They told me about their negative and positive experiences in school, and it inspired me to become a teacher.”

Outside of school, Amarragy has many other hobbies. Amarragy enjoys sewing costumes and training her new puppy. She also likes to read nonfiction and about history.

Amarragy would like to set an example for her students to be kind to each other and to “be open to things that may not align with your personality.” She understands it is easy for students to be hard on themselves and wants them to try and be kind to themselves as well.

Through teaching, Amarragy has learned that it is okay to be herself with her students while being a teacher they respect. She is looking forward to this upcoming year and being part of the SCHS community.

“It is a big school and has a lot of diversity,” Amarragy said. “It makes being here worthwhile.”