New World and U.S. History teacher Pilar Svendsen brings her travels into the classroom

Eunice Oh

Svendsen hopes to educate her students about the past, while keeping her the present alive.

While teaching classes that focus almost entirely on the past, Pilar Svendsen keeps things in the present, using knowledge from her extensive travels abroad.

“If you don’t have [the students] then you don’t have anything. I really try to connect their interests with experiences,” Svendsen said. “I love to bring in a lot of artifacts from places that I have traveled.”

Svendsen teaches World and U.S. History. After studying abroad in Vienna, Austria in 2012, Svendsen decided she wanted to explore the world. Since then, Svendsen has traveled to sixteen countries, including Egypt, Peru and Japan.  

“I’ve seen the Pyramids, the Great Wall of China, and now I think it’s time that I see the Coliseum,” she said.

Svendsen’s love for traveling started when she was young.

“When I was a toddler, my mom told me that if our hands broke loose, I would be gone. I was constantly exploring,”

she said.

Svendsen previously worked at Half Moon Bay High School, where she taught AVID, AP U.S. History and World History. After hearing about an unusual activity the school provides, she decided to take the opportunity.

“It [HMBHS] had a guitar making program, and so a year ago, I decided that I was going to make one for myself,” Svendsen said. “It took a bulk of my summer trying to finish it, and I messed up a few times, but I just really wanted to give it as a gift!”

Although Svendsen is new to SCHS, she is already eager to get involved with the school. She is the advisor for the Sustainable Gardening Club and is hoping to create a Mock Trial Team.

“The only way to learn about a school is to get involved,” she said.

Svendsen who was on her high school Mock Trial team was planning on studying law in college but decided against it after volunteering in a real estate office. Instead, she studied history and education. A bachelor’s degree and two masters later, Svendsen has her eyes set on a PhD.

“I love teaching and history so I am very passionate about my job. I also get my fix of feeling like a famous person because I am up on stage all day acting out the lessons, and so it’s like I almost became a famous actress and lawyer and teacher all in one,” Svendsen said. “It’s the best job in the world.”