Holidays are the most wonderful time of the year, and the most stressful

Emliy Harvie

Students often feel overwhelmed during this time of year.

It has been said for generations: “Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year.” But what some may not realize, is that the holidays can be one of the most stressful times for many high school students.

First semester finals at numerous high schools, including SCHS, occur the week before Christmas. Students like junior Daniela Dayen feel other holidays, not just Christmas, should be spent with loved ones .

“I actually celebrate Hanukkah. My family is Jewish,” Dayen said. “But especially around right now, I just like spending time with my family, and like I feel it’s a good way to connect with everyone and to celebrate and to be thankful for everything you have.”

Finals are close to the holidays, and for many, they can take away the good spirit these times bring. Stress often increases as finals week approaches. On top of finals, many students have sports and other extracurriculars they must be worried about too.

“I’ve got multiple projects and tests to do in the very last week as well as have to study for finals,” sophomore Bilal Malik said. “Having to balance all that with running and staying in shape during this off season is really hard.”

Not only are students stressed about school, but buying presents for friends and family is a hard task. For high schoolers, money is an issue.

According to Dayen, it can be hard to try and figure out what to buy people for Christmas. The stress of deciding on and buying the gifts all while maintaining time to study for finals can be overwhelming.  

“I mean it is just about managing the time, figuring out what to prioritize and everything. It’s mangable as long as you know how to deal with all that,” Dayen said.  

According to Wellness Coordinator Michelle Sandoval, mental health should be a priority, and students should know that their health comes first.    

“I think that it is so important during times of high stress – whether it’s finals or holidays or any other thing that brings a high amount of stress – that we take time to do extra self-care around those times,” Sandoval said. “Students have an exceptional amount of pressure put on them during the academic year, and so I always advocate for self-care.”

Many students have recently visited the Wellness Center for help with stress, and students like Malik also believe self-care is very important.  

“Don’t put all of your focus into schoolwork [and] studying. Take time for yourself and go watch a movie or something,” Malik said. “Studying all day and everyday just builds stress.”