SEL survey to be postponed due to system failures

Social+Emotional+Learning+targets+aspects+of+students+well-being.+

Courtesy of Google Images

Social Emotional Learning targets aspects of student’s well-being.

Over 2,000 SCHS students attempted to take the Social-Emotional Learning survey on Feb. 26, and many were unable to.

According to Angela Kretsch, Vice Principal of Student Support Services & Discipline, the SEL survey did not work due the survey provider’s system crashing.

The SEL survey, developed by representatives from five Santa Clara County districts and Santa Clara County Office of Education staff, is a way to gauge the social and emotional well-being of the students.

“These questions will measure students’ academic behaviors, academic perseverance, academic mindsets, learning strategies, social skills and the school and classroom context in which all of these exist,” Kretsch said.

According to Kretsch, the survey questions target seven main categories: academic behaviors, academic perseverance, academic mindsets, learning strategies, social skills, school and classroom context and college/career readiness.

In order to receive all responses, SCHS is planning to stagger the survey days over the coming days. Beginning on Friday, Mar. 8, through Tuesday, Mar. 12, students who weren’t able to take it previously will participate in the survey during SSR based on the last name of their third period teacher. A-Ga will participate on Friday, Gu-Mo on Monday and Mo-Za on Tuesday.