SCHS students experience judgment for their unique music tastes

Many+students+have+been+judged+for+their+music+choices.+

Tatiana Serrano-Zeledon

Many students have been judged for their music choices.

Various new artists are gaining popularity regularly while music is being created almost daily, so it seems people have an endless amount of songs to stream. Whether it is rap, pop, rock or more obscure genres, many teens today tend to have strong opinions about others’ music tastes. Some, like junior Kasey Ann Robertson, feel harsh judgment can be hurtful, and students have different reactions.

Robertson said she listens to a variety of songs, often from uncommon sources.

“I listen to rap primarily, but I also mix in classical music and other pop (or) soft songs,” Robertson said. “A few years ago, I got really into this game called Undertale. I would listen to the soundtrack of the game and fanmade songs revolving around the game.”

Even though Robertson enjoys her music, people still tend to be biased toward her taste.

“My sisters would sometimes make fun of me for listening to their music (the game’s) as much as I did,” Robertson said. “They would say things like ‘You only listen to songs from Undertale.’”

This brought down Robertson’s confidence, she said, making her believe she could not freely listen to her music.

“It made me feel like I wasn’t allowed to be myself,” Robertson said.

Robertson said she felt ashamed she was listening to the music she liked.

Senior Anothony Chavez likes to listen to old rap and artists such as Larry June. Because of his taste, similar to Robertson, Chavez has experienced judgment.

“I like the flow and the beats,” Chavez said. “Sometimes people would say my music is old, and I would be like, ‘It’s better than what you listen to.’”

Freshman Faith Manansala said she mostly listens to pop and R&B, and people often judge her for listening to “popular songs.” Like Chavez, Manansala does not let the judgment get to her.

“Usually, people make fun of me for listening to pop because they think it’s mostly overhyped, like Taylor Swift,” said Manansala. “I honestly don’t mind it. It doesn’t bother me. I just listen to what I want to listen to.”