Cherished SCHS events cancelled due to Coronavirus

Many+events+and+activities+have+been+cancelled+because+of+COVID-19.+

Melina Kritikopoulos

Many events and activities have been cancelled because of COVID-19.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, schools in California are expected to remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 academic school year. At SCHS, many beloved school events have been cancelled, including BOTC, Diversity Week, field trips and the theater department’s spring musical, “Spamalot.”

Many SCHS students have mixed opinions about the school closure. Junior Oliva Spycher was excited when it was first announced that SCHS would be taking a three-week break, but her feelings changed when the district opted to close the school and transition to distance learning.

“When I heard about the three weeks, I was excited, but when it continued to get extended, it was upsetting,” Spycher said. “I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed seeing my friends and being in some of my classes.”

Some students wish they had known school would not resume and had the opportunity to say goodbye to their friends in person.

“When I found out school was closing, I instantly remembered the last day we were all at school,” senior Samantha Hamilton said. “If I had known it was going to be the last day of my senior year, I would’ve cherished it a lot more and taken the time to really appreciate the people around me.”

All field trips have been cancelled, including the freshman English class’ Cannery Row trip. Some may be rescheduled for next year, such as the GAINS field trip to the annual Google She’s So Stem event.

One of the most anticipated events of the year, Battle of the Classes, was originally moved to May but has since been cancelled. Freshman Katrina Colwill was looking forward to her first BOTC at SCHS, as well as participating in multiple events.

“When I found out that BOTC was cancelled, I was very disappointed and slightly annoyed because I had used a lot of time to practice for it,” Colwill said. “It all felt like a waste.”

The spring musical, “Spamalot,” was cancelled as well. Hamilton was one of the actors involved, and is sad that she will not get a chance to play the role of her dreams.

“Our department was working hard at putting on a wonderful show, one that brought us laughter and joy learning,” Hamilton said. “I was excited to play a role I have only ever dreamed of playing.”