SCHS participated at MacDonald High School’s Special Olympics

Aisha Shafik

As people watched the the Special Olympics, many who participated noticed new bonds forming.

On May 17, SCHS, along with Wilcox High School and MacDonald High School continued the Special Olympics for the 2022-2023 school year. This has been the first year where a new sport, kickball, has been implemented, as well as the event taking place at the newly established MacDonald High School.

Special education teacher Shinichi Hirano explained the importance of Santa Clara Unified School District holding events such as the Special Olympics for students.

“The biggest thing is that the Special Olympics and the things that we (SCUSD) do are all inclusive, getting everyone involved, and getting the whole student body involved,” Hirano said.

In addition, Hirano mentioned the significance of holding the Special Olympics at the new MacDonald High School, and how it may have affected the overall manner of the event.

“It was nice to get the new school involved in their first year, and I think to go there in the first year – to give it a shot – even though they don’t have a Unified PE class yet,” Hirano said. “I think it was helpful that we bring what we had, and they are trying to bring it into their school.”

Sophomore Mia Wasuya Druntz, who participated in the Special Olympics, described the process of how the event worked.

“We (the schools) take different rounds – there are usually three schools – and there are two rounds where two schools compete against each other,” Druntz said.

Sophomore Xavier Trujeque, who assisted in the event, explained how the event allowed for new bonds to form among the students.

“I think a new location for the kids allows for them to meet new people along with meeting their current friends that maybe they don’t talk to as much,” Trujeque said.

Additionally, with a new sport being added, Trujeque emphasized the importance that comes with having an event like the Special Olympics.

“Allowing them to play kickball and allowing them to have fun and not be limited was really fun and good experience,” Trujeque said.

Hirano emphasized that having the Special Olympics available for students to participate in grants various schools the opportunity to create a community bond among their peers.

“I think that for just the students, it’s pretty fun, and they want that friendship, comradery. They want to be part of everything,” Hirano said.