New english teacher Amanda Henslee shares her love for art and creativity with students

Amelia Tai
Whether it is her passion narrative or storytelling, Henslee is interested in all forms of literature.

English teacher Amanda Henslee hopes to offer a new, creative voice at SCHS. Whether it is her devotion to narrative or storytelling, Henslee appreciates all forms of literature.

Inspired by her love for art and improvisation, Henslee earned her undergraduate degree in drama along with a minor in English at University of California, Irvine. She later earned her teaching credential at San Jose State.

Henslee has been an educator for 10 years, teaching first and fifth grade at Laneview Elementary School before transferring to Castillero Middle School. Excited to join the Bruin community, she feels inspired from her uncle, who previously taught in Santa Clara Unified School District.

“I grew up hearing such great things about the district and about the school, that I always knew if I could get a chance to come in and work here, I would take it,” Henslee said.

Growing up, Henslee had many absences and often fell behind as a student but found no teacher to support her. Now, Henslee strives to be the teacher who looks out for students who are struggling.

“I got into teaching because I wanted to be that person that noticed,” Henslee said.

Along with providing support, Henslee appreciates the opportunity to witness her students experiencing excitement while learning.

“There’s something very rewarding when students make a breakthrough in English, and they’re like, ‘Oh, I finally know how to do this!’ or like, ‘Oh, I didn’t think I was a writer, but I guess I am,’” Henslee said. “It’s very rewarding.”

Beyond the English classroom, Henslee is excited to see her students do what they love on campus. She values getting to know her students beyond the classroom as they get involved with their passions. As a theater student herself, Henslee is especially interested in students who perform.

“I do have a background in theater, so I’m looking forward to seeing what the school plays are like,” Henslee said.

After years of teaching elementary and junior high students, Henslee looks forward to teaching high school students, including upperclassmen. Teaching middle schoolers involved teaching students how to be students, while in high school, she plays more of a facilitator role. Regardless, Henslee believes all students can use their abilities to succeed at any age.

“It’s a new age group. It’s not necessarily a new skill set,” Henslee said.

With her desire to continue working in the district, Henslee believes this school year will support her as a new Bruin. With all the challenges ahead of her, she is very excited to be on the SCHS campus.

“Eleventh and twelfth grade teachers that I’m on teams with have been incredibly helpful to make that transition as smooth as possible,” Henslee said. “They’ve been so gracious with their time and resources. I’m incredibly lucky.”