SCHS seniors express individuality for unique college applications

Seniors+spotlight+their+personal+growths+while+writing+their+college+applications.+
Amelia Tai
Seniors spotlight their personal growths while writing their college applications.

Among the many SCHS seniors attempting to complete their college applications this fall, some have noticed the new standards applicable to their personal statements and questions.

Many seniors wonder how to determine the worth of their four years on campus. By measuring not only their academics but their personal pursuits more in-depth, seniors create the best possible versions of their applications.

Vulnerability is a trait present in many applications. Senior Sahil Sudhani described the perspective of applying.

“Feeling frustrated, stressed or anxious is just part of the process,” Sudhani said. “But when you figure out how you want to write your essay, or when you write down that one sentence that brings everything together, it all feels worth it.”

Senior Jeff Marinshaw acknowledged a notable component he found while filling out his application.

“It (applying) makes me think about if I was put in certain situations that some of the questions describe, it really makes me reflect and think, ‘Would I be able to be a leader if I was put in a certain situation,’” Marinshaw said. “The questions really make you self-reflect on who you are as a person and your morals and overall deep values.”

Sudhani described the innate advantages of one’s assets.

“The biggest benefit is that if nothing else, you learn more about yourself. I didn’t know what qualities I would highlight about myself before I started this process,” Sudhani said. “I had to think very hard and be honest about myself, about who I was. Putting your strengths and weaknesses on paper really helps you with figuring out what you want to do and what kind of person you want to be.”

For senior Kai Pham, the most rewarding aspect of his application was to consider his personal strengths rather than just academics and test scores.

“To be honest, I like it (personal applications) more than having to give just your transcripts because you’re given a better chance if you’re not so good at taking tests.” Pham said.

Similar to Pham, Marinshaw explained his concerns and noted the advantages found within a characteristic application while applying.

“It would be really wise for people to state their weaknesses and show their weaknesses but then also show how they are interested in bringing up those interests and improving them to the level of their strengths,” Marinshaw said. “Stating your weaknesses in general is negative because they are weaknesses, but they only stay negative if you don’t improve on them, or act to change them.”

The reality of submitting an essay application requires students to express themselves openly. Marinshaw hopes many of his peers consider their worth while finishing their applications.

“I think a fair and honest person reading your essay is really going to see that this is who you are as a person, like all of you. You’re not trying to hide anything. This is you,” Marinshaw said.

In the midst of planning for their future, seniors face the pressure of creating their best possible application. For seniors currently applying to schools for the fall term, Sudhani advises a personal pursuit.

“You are one drop of water in an entire ocean of applicants,” Sudhani said. “Personalization is a great way to make your application unique and help it stand out.”