Students discuss their hardships with maintaining off-campus friendships

Rebecca LaBarge
For many students, off-campus relationships are a rewarding experience, despite the struggle to maintain them.

Sharing classes and sharing a campus often calls for intimacy within friends. Being able to see each other everyday at school and after seems to keep friendships nourished. Students on campus who cannot see their friends daily discussed the sometimes rocky road when it comes to being close to a friend who can seem far away.

SCHS senior Ulver Ambriz met one of his best friends almost six years ago in seventh grade. When the time came to attend different schools, senior Jose Carranza enrolled in Wilcox High School, and they both understood that things would not be the same without seeing each other everyday. Since then, Ambriz and Carranza have figured out ways to keep in touch.

“We’ll hop on the game a couple times a week, talk to each other, go out to play soccer with our group of friends, or just kick it at someone’s house,” Ambriz said.

The six-year friendship has allowed for Ambriz and Carranza to not only see growth within each other but also within themselves. Ambriz reflected on some moments and discussed what he has learned from their friendship.

“It taught me that you don’t have to be completely similar to someone to be friends with them. Try to keep in touch as much as you can. I know it can be difficult,” Ambriz said. “It shows you care enough to the point that you still want to be friends,”

Carranza stated that although they may go at each other from time to time, they are still close. Carranza gave a word of advice to students when it comes to making lasting friendships.

“Just try to open up to people more,” Carranza said. “You have to be open to talk to people and not just stay in your own circle, believing that you can only have a certain number of friends.”

SCHS senior Nelson Rodriguez discussed the fond yet distant friendship he maintains with senior Zach Edens, who attends New Valley High School. Rodriguez knew their friendship would change by attending different schools, but they would remain friends.

“I was really sad because I was leaving my friend behind, but it’s cool because I still keep in touch with Zach and make sure we still have that bond,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez noted the ways he maintains a friendship with Edens and that they are not as close as he desires.

“We used to work at Great America together. We play video games, we went to SF, we like to go around places,” Rodriguez said. “Right now, I just kind of miss him, and I want to say hi to him. I do want to get in contact with him more.”

Making sure he checks up on his friends, Edens sends the occasional message so his friends know he is there for them. Edens considers communication a big part in a healthy friendship.

“It’s different given the factor of communication if you don’t see or speak much to the other person. If you’ve never really had an online relationship, then you won’t really communicate much,” Edens said.

Mutually, Edens believes that his relationship with Rodriguez is not as ideal as they would both like it to be. Eden’s provided insight for those who are potentially going through the same situation.

“Stick it through. Sometimes you think your friends are slipping away, but the reality is you both just haven’t checked in,” Edens said.

As they enter adulthood, Carranza believes his friendship with Ambriz will thrive with more freedom and new opportunities to see each other.

“I think we’re going to the same college actually, so our friendship is going to continue,” Carranza said. “At the end of the day, he’s got my back. I got his. That’s how it’s always been with us.”