Fall show “Lend Me a Tenor” is a must-watch

Last Friday, the SCHS theater department – presented their fall show: “Lend Me a Tenor.” Full of hilarious misunderstandings, near-misses and general facepalming confusion amongst the characters, the play is a success.

Renowned tenor Tito Merelli has come to the Cleveland Grand Opera company to perform. After unknowingly consuming over a small bottle of tranquilizer pills, he falls unconscious and is presumed dead by the general manager, Mr. Saunders, and his underconfident assistant, Max, sending them into a panic. Max is then forced to dress up and impersonate Merelli at the night’s performance, which leads to many hilarious and chaotic situations when Merelli wakes up.

Senior Patrick O’cock shined as Max, especially in the beginning of the play with an enthusiastic Maggie, played by sophomore Laine Russell. It was easy to believe the two were a couple. Or somewhat of a couple since Maggie was obsessed with the famous celebrity Merelli.

Junior Khalil Malik played a likable and polite Merelli and made the audience laugh with his misinterpretations and confusion as he tried to keep up with situations like characters believing he’s in an affair with them. My personal favorite, the fiery and fed up Maria, was played by junior Juliana Morin perfectly. And kudos to both for their Italian accents, which helped keep the play light-hearted.

Sophomore Rudy Tanugula’s, who played Saunders, lung size and screams were pretty impressive. The short bursts of silence before them and his pretend somber announcements showed the gravity of the situations the characters were in.

The set–the living room and the bedroom of the Merellis’ suite–was well-made and decorated stylishly (even a bundle of roses on the bed!). Additionally, the lighting that brightened the room where the action was taking place and dimmed the other when the actors exited helped the audience focus on and follow the crazy events in the play.

“Lend Me a Tenor” was a comedic and family-friendly success. I highly recommend attending one of the two final performances.

“Lend Me a Tenor” will perform again on November 18 and 19. General admission is $7, students with an ASB card is $5, and $3 for Reyes’ students.