Students ‘break a sweat’ to get Becky G to perform at SCHS

Singer and rapper Becky G could perform a private concert for SCHS students if they win the “High School Takeover” contest put on by local radio station Wild 94.9, which ends this Sunday.

As of Wednesday Oct. 7, Santa Clara High is in first place ahead of Oak Grove High School in San Jose. On Monday though, SCHS was behind OGHS, coming in second place on the leaderboard.

Despite the ups and downs, many are hoping Santa Clara will pull forward and win the “Takeover” competition. With plenty of sharing, social media posts and constant Becky G music on the school announcements, some SCHS students have put extensive work into campaigning for Santa Clara High to win. Their efforts include the sudden addition of posters promoting the contest sprouting up in the hallways around campus.

“Not only me, but a lot of people at our school are willing to help us win,” freshman Devynn Wyatt said.

The contest works through a voting system, in which Bay Area high school students click a designated link, and upon opening the link, automatically place a vote for their school. Anyone is only able to vote once per device every twenty four hours.

Other students such as junior Emily Fox are also pushing for SCHS to win the contest.  “I’ve been telling all my friends to vote and spread the word to everyone they know. I’d be so happy to have one of my idols come to my school and perform,” Fox said.

Becky G is known for her songs “Shower” and “Can’t Stop Dancin’,” and recently released the single “Break a Sweat.

As with any major school event, a Becky G concert on campus would have to first pass through school administration, and in this instance, Principal Greg Shelby seems receptive to the idea.

“I think it would be great to have an artist perform, as long as it’s something that doesn’t interfere with education,” Shelby said.  “But I think anything that increases spirit here is great.”

With students on campus looking forward to the possibility of a private concert by a well-known musical artist, and voting coming to a close this Sunday, some are anxious to see the fruits of their labors.

“If we won I would be so overwhelmed,” said Wyatt, “I’m actually really excited. I know we can pull through and win this thing.”

For those interested in casting a vote for Santa Clara High School, you can click here to cast your vote. Voting ends on Oct 11, 2015 at 11:59 PM PST.