ASB election winners announced

Patterson, shown here, promised to focus on the arts in her campaign video

Michelle Garcia

SCHS students voted for next year’s campus leaders Friday, with Katie Patterson emerging as ASB President in a close election with Vyvy Nguyen.

As president, Patterson’s primary goal is to bring attention to the arts, which are “phenomenal but underappreciated,” Patterson said. According to ASB Entertainment Commissioner Danyal Naeem, the battle for president was the closest one.

Sophomore Abel Semma  will be SCHS’s new ASB Secretary. Other ASB Secretary candidates were juniors Tia Foot and Jocelyn Nguyen.

Junior Lucas Nguyen won the position of ASB Spirit Commissioner against junior Yohanna Berhanu.

As Spirit Commissioner, Nguyen promised to have things done “to the best of his ability.”

Nguyen said, “I want you to see that I care for this school, and I only want what’s best through what I’ll try and what I’ll accomplish.”

Junior Thomas Vu’s campaign captured the most votes for Entertainment Commissioner. He ran against freshman Minhaal Naeem and juniors Nancy Recinos and Peyton Vannest.

In his campaign, Vu offered his listening skills, his availability, and his effort in making the rallies enjoyable for the school in a rap to the beat of the song “Wet Dreamz” by J. Cole.

Junior Tomás Mier was re-elected as Communications Commissioner, being the only candidate campaigning for a second term. He ran against junior Ekam Grewal.

Junior Damika Wegielewski earned the position of Elections Clerk. She competed against sophomore Daniel Huynh, freshman Maryam Khatoon, and junior Kevin Law.

Junior Ajaipal Chahal will be the Vice President next year, junior Ryan Isobe the Treasurer, junior Hadkeem Watts the Athletic Commissioner, and freshman Vanessa Bontrager the School Site Council Representative.  All four ran unopposed.

With ASB elections completed, class elections will be held from May 8 to May 12. The freshman class will vote on Friday May 8 for its class council, followed by the sophomores, who will vote on May 11, and finally the juniors, who will vote on May 12 in the theater during SSR.