New water fountains cut plastic bottle waste

Olivia Brady

Freshman Ricky Austin fills his water bottle.

Approximately 60 million plastic water bottles are thrown out in the United States each day, according to the Container Recycling Institute, and most of them end up either in incinerators or landfills.

Now, however, students at SCHS will be able to do their part to reduce the waste.  Thanks to the new water fountains in the gym, and in the B-Hall by the Student Body Office, students have the option of refilling their reusable water bottles instead of using and throwing away plastic ones.

“I like the new fountains because it encourages people to conserve water and because it’s convenient,” junior Megan Bettencourt said.

To refill their water bottles, students simply place containers under the refill station, which is located above the fountain, and the sensor will signal the machine to pour water out. Each time a water bottle is refilled, the digital counter advances by one to show students how many water bottles they’ve saved from the waste stream. Currently, students have saved 7,779  water bottles.

Before, most students were reluctant to use the fountains to refill bottles because they were deemed “unsanitary”, according to principal Greg Shelby. At times the previous fountains contained dirt, tissues and other items.

“Now, I frequently see students using the fountain in the hallways, and several students have expressed their appreciation after the fountain’s installment,” Shelby said.

Shelby said the refill stations were something the school district had been working on for quite awhile, and the goal is to have them on all district campuses.

Student athletes like senior Hadley Johanson are thankful for the new fountains, which were installed in December, because of their efficiency.

“During runs in cross country, I would stop by Wilson High School to refill my bottle, and at the time I hoped that SCHS would put in one as well because they’re convenient,” said Johanson.

Johanson likes that she no longer has to hold down the button on the fountain for water.

While SCHS has no current plans to put in more refillable water stations, Shelby believes that the new fountains will be a hit amongst both teachers and students.
“I’ve had people ask me for years for a refillable fountain,” Shelby said. “It’s a huge help when students bring things like the water fountain to our attention.”